Wednesday, August 10, 2011

In which not much happens...

Dad has been begging me to post for a week now, but frankly I have nothing much to post! The past week was fairly boring since we didn't go anywhere. The students were busy writing up their research reports and the interns (myself and Daniela) took inventories and tried to stay busy (sometimes easier said than done).

The students all left yesterday morning and we had a staff party last night. So far, every Costa Rican party I've been to (total: 3) has included chicharrones, which are different than those made in Mexico or So Cal. Here chicharrones is pork slow cooked over a fire, as opposed to essentially roasted scrapple in Mexico. Each party has also included karaoke and dancing, although the karaoke may be attributed to Sergio (econ professor) who was a key player in both parties. My latin dancing skills are still shameful, but improving. Edgardo (ecology prof) and the guards took pity on me and tried to teach me. Edgardo would try to spin us and I'd miss his hands as he came around and it was generally hilarious.

I believe Mom has been working herself into a knot because I still haven't finalized my plans for my vacation time. I'm waiting on an answer from an acquaintance of Gerardo (center director) about macaw research, but I'm afraid if I don't hear soon I'll have to find something else to do. So for now I'm looking at some organic farms that do kind of a work program. The problem is finding something on short notice. Of course, I'm welcome to stay at the center but that would be fairly boring for three weeks. I also have to leave the country for a few days to renew my visa, which SFS will pay for. I think I'll let them pay for me to go to Bocas del Toro, Panama which is a set of islands on the Caribbean coast of Panama.

No comments:

Post a Comment