Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Also! Turtles!

Almost forgot!

Last night I joined Eduardo's DR group for a turtle monitoring camping trip. We packed up and had probably a 45 min boat ride (and a bouncy one at that) to a mangrove island. Set up camp, ate some dinner the cooks had made us, and I had my shift at 8pm. Nicki, Eduardo, AJ's friend Erik and I went out on one of the pangas to pull up the turtle nets. We didn't have any in ours, but one of the morning groups did catch a rather large turtle. I'll get pictures up sometime, I'm overdue but I can't seem to coordinate my memory with my internet service. But anyway, around 7 the turtle DR group measured the turtle's shell and head, weighed her, tagged her, took a skin sample and set her on her way. They have one more turtle monitoring trip left, which I may or may not do. I'd like to actually catch a turtle one of these times, but on the other hand I got like no sleep last night because it was so windy.

No comments:

Post a Comment