Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sooo, I kind of love the people here. My Spanish is still in need of some work, but I'm more comfortable using it. It's better to stumble around trying to talk than to sit quietly. Especially everyone at the center is used to it. And it's funny, some people I can understand perfectly and some people I can't understand anything they say. I've been talking to one of the guards, Melvin, a lot. He gets kind of lonely in the guard house and he's always looking for someone to talk to. His accent is a little difficult for me, but he's really patient. Evelyn, the cleaning lady, is also really sweet and encouraging. It's funny, I don't know the professors very well at all yet because they've been on vacation for the past couple of days. Everyone clears out during days off. It also seems to be really easy to travel around Costa Rica, which helps. I read somewhere that the whole country is about the size of West Virginia.

The wildlife is pretty cool, there's iguanas EVERYWHERE and Gerardo (center director) hates them. They break into the greenhouse and eat the lettuce and seedlings, and they pee all over everything. If you hear something funny scrabbling on the roof, you can be about 95% sure it's an iguana. There's also tons of smaller lizards and geckos around. There's one that lives near the dish washing area that's probably the size of a AAA battery. Last night Daniela pointed out a GIANT toad near the pool, it was like the size of a kitten (ok, maybe a very young kitten). We also apparently get capuchin monkeys around the kitchen, but I haven't seen them yet.

1 comment:

  1. Kate,

    The pictures are great. So there really is a reason to make your bed.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete